Friday, November 17, 2006

Eraclides versus the Masters ~ Part 3 Not Slam-Dunked by Craig Laird

Hi Pilgrims,

In 1994 and 1995 my partner Vivien and I went on chess holidays to Norfolk Island. At that time and for a while after, the Norfolk Island Chess Club used to host a chess tournament every year for players rated below 1600. It was aimed at attracting average players from the mainland of Oz who would like to combine a holiday package tour with some chess competition.

It was absolutely terrific, but we could only afford to go for two years, 1994 and 1995. You flew out of Sydney and the accomodation, tours and ‘chess-fun’ was organised for you.

Vivien I am sorry to say, does not play chess, (she is chessically challenged) although she understands what a wonderful game it is, with its rich history (which I have bored her with) and colourful personalities (like me). We had a wonderful time touring the island and learning about its history. Made friends, dined out, basically had a ball. As this is a chess blog, I shall stick to the royal game, although I want you to realize that a chess tournament, accompanied by glorious sights, conversation, fine food, and wine, is a jolly good thing.

International Master Terrey Shaw and FIDE Master Craig Laird were the chess organisers. They gave lectures, organised competitions such as problem solving, and gave simultaneous exhibitions. There were two tournaments: A lightning event (five minutes on each clock; all play all) and a major tournament (normal time). In 1994 I came second in the lightning and the major tourney and I was referred to as ‘George the Second’. In 1995 I won the lightning but still came second in the major event. Everybody received some kind of prize at the tournament dinner, however humble their performance.

In the future I will post some games from these events.

What was of the greatest benefit, were the lectures and tutoring from Terrey and Craig. You could spend months pouring over a chess manual and not gain the insights which one lesson from these teachers can give you. It demonstrates the importance of a good teacher, who can point out the essentials in the learning process.

For instance, in the final round of the major in 1994 I had a winnable ending and only needed a draw. But being the lummox that I am, I lost the game. Terrey and Craig pointed out to me in an impromptu lesson the next day, that I needed to have retained the white squared Bishop which guarded the white squares. Instead I exchanged it and lost in a Rook ending. As they showed me, in the position I had, the squares without pawns on them needed guarding, so my opponents Rook could not penetrate, while my Rook supported the advance of my pawns.

The way they showed me what to do has stayed with me and my endgame play has actually improved. I am no Capablanca or Rubinstein but I am not a bunny in the ending any more, just in the other phases of the game.

Craig gave simuls in 1994 and in 1995. He had played overseas and regularly competed in Australian and State Championships. Both he and Terrey had a droll sense of humour and neither of them had any tickets on themselves among us ordinary players. Terrey had a regular chess column for many years in the The Bulletin - a major news and current affairs magazine in Oz. The low-brows who then ran the magazine saw fit to cancel his column and this was very upsetting to himself and chess fans.

A chess column, as everyone with a scintilla of intelligence knows, is the bench mark for quality in a magazine. I stopped buying the magazine and told as many people as I could. Terrey Shaw passed away sometime later, succumbing to a long illness. I still remember him and the advice he had given me and others. When I ignore his teachings, as I do because I am a fool sometimes, I can imagine him shaking his head while I admonish myself.

His advice, if followed, would eliminate the most obvious errors players like me commit. I shall tell you about his teaching in a future posting.

The point of the Norfolk Island tournaments was to have fun, play some good chess, and improve your standard of play. I played in the simuls in both 1994 (lost via an inexcusable blunder - inexcusable even for me!) and 1995. Please note: Simultaneous exhibitions are difficult for Master level players, even against ordinary players. They hate to lose or even draw. Pride is on the line and they also have to think hard and quickly while we try and outfox them.

The game below is from 1995, and I think I played rather well. I was true to my style (of course I have one!) and had Craig worried for quite a while.

Craig Laird (FM) VERSUS George Eraclides (Definitely not FM)

Simultaneous Exhibition at Norfolk Island, 1995

Catalan/Pirc/Kings Indian Hybrid - in other words, irregular

1. d4 Nf6
2. Nf3 g6
3. g3 Bg7
4. Bg2 0-0
5. 0-0 d6
6. Re1 c5?!

Black is trying to play a King’s Indian and White is aiming at a Catalan set up without c4. This is a simul and a few kitchen-sinks are going to be thrown into the mix. I think Laird can play 7. dxc5 because Qa5 8. cxd6 Rd8 doesn’t really do anything much, and 7...dxc5 is passive. But he had a full board of games to worry about and tries to play it cool, hoping to avoid complications. But he is playing Eraclides - the man who can’t even spell complictoains.

7. d5?!

I think he should have either taken the Pawn or played Nc3. Note, that unlike other annotators, I capitalize the ‘P’ in Pawn, out of respect for all life forms, however pathetically humble they are. Craig was also playing quickly, coming around to the boards as fast as he could - a trick of simul players to get us ordinaries to make a blunder or a significant positional concession. Ettiquette dictates that you move as soon as the Master player is in front of your board. Sometimes players are allowed to think a little longer, but in terms of the spirit of the simul, it’s like passing wind during prayers at a requiem mass.

7 .................Bg4!?

This Bishop is often hard to develop in the King’s Indian, so exchanging it for White’s well placed Knight can be a good idea. Note that by playing d5, Craig has blocked the diagonal of his g2 Bishop and opened the diagonal of my own warrior-priest.

8. Nc3 Qd7!?

It may be thought that Nfd7 or Nbd7 would me more normal but I am hatching a little scheme, or if you prefer scheming a little hatch. Besides the complications which arise, Black threatens Bh3 and restrains h3.

9. e4?!

Not sure about this. Logical given White’s sixth move and the difficulty Black will have of getting a Knight to fill the hole at e5, but he self-pins his Queen and further progress in the centre is slowed down.

9 ...............Na6!
10. Bg5

If he plays a4 to prevent Black’s next move, he leaves a gaping hole for the Knight at b4. If he plays a3, Black builds up his Queen side initiative anyway. White’s position is already looking a bit porous and I was relatively satisfied with the way things were going. King’s Indian formations seem to suit my style.

10 ............b5
11. Qd3 c4!
12. Qf1 Bxf3

I need to take the Knight before White has a chance to move it into d4.

13. Bxf3 Nc5

Apart from the risky and silly 6...c5 I have played reasonably well, and now have a promising position. That’s the King’s Indian for you, it’s either very good or very bad - no grey areas.

14. a4 b4!?

Black could play 14...a6, which is safer, sounder, and giving better long term prospects. For instance 15. axb5 axb5 and Black tries Qb7, h6, and possibly Nfd7. If I was a Wiz in the King’s Indian, like Fischer or Kasparov, I could do really clever things with this kind of position. Alas I am only an Eraclides playing quickly in a simul. So I go for more complications.

15. Nb5 a6
16. Nd4!?

Obviously. But wait, Black has been doing a scheming hatch (see note at move 8 above). Okay, okay, I know I’m not Alekhine, and could never seriously claim to foresee so many moves ahead (I often stumble over just the next move), but I was trying to see if you were awake.

16 ...........Nfxe4!?
17. Bxe4 Bxd4
18. Qxc4 Bxb2

Just cleaning up MY DIAGONAL (one gets so possesive in the King’s Indian).

19. Raa2 Bc3

Is it true? I am a Pawn up against a Master and have the initiative as well. It’s the complications what did it. And all the other games Craig had to worry about.

20. Re2 Nxa4
21. Qc6 Qg4!?

This seemed the best at the time but 21...Qxc6 22. dxc6 Nc5 is also interesting. Then 23. c7 (23. Bxe7 Rfe8) Nxe4 24. Rxe4 f6! 25. Bc1 with favourable complications for Black after e5 and a Pawn roller. White’s Pawn on c7 is going nowhere fast. I was thinking that if I win this game I should build a shrine to the King’s Indian in my living room.

22. f3 Qxg5
23. Rxa4 Qc1+

This woman is mad I tell you, mad. Stay away from her, she’s on a rampage.

24. Kg2 Bd4
25. Rxb4 Qg1+
26. Kh3

Now what?

26 ...........Rac8!?

Cunning, eh what. If now 27. Qxa6 Qf1+ 28. Kh5 (Kg4, f4+ is a show-stopper) g5+ 29. Kxg5 Be3+ and either he takes the Bishop and loses his Queen, or Black will probably nail the enemy King, e.g. 30. f4 Qh3! or 30. Kg5 Kh8! It’s these complications, so imperfectly presented, which bring a warm inner glow to a player with attacking proclivities. However, puting proclivities aside (which you should, because they are quite heavy to carry for too long), why not just play 26...Qf1+ 27. Rg2 f5!
If 28. Bd3 Qxf3 29. Be2! Qe3! Heavy. He has to lose the exchange.
Or 28. Rxd4 fxe4 29. Rxe4 (fxe4 Rac8 and Rf2 or Rxc2 depending where the Queen goes) Qxf3 with the problem-like threat (I have always wanted to write this) of 30...Qh5+ 31. Rh4 Qf5+ 32. g4 Qf3+ 33. Rg3 Qf1+ 34. Rg2 Rf3++ To prevent all this is hard. For instance 30. Rg4 Qf5 or 30. Rge2 Qf1+ 31. Rg2 (a King move loses as well) Qf5+ or 30. Qc4 Qf5+.
It is all very complicated if you are an ordinary and playing in a simul where players are dropping off. I was almost last around here, so I played quickly. Attacking a Queen can’t be all bad.

27. Qa4

He dare not take the Pawn.

27 ...........Bf2

Threatening Qf1+.

28. Rb1 Qxb1
29. Rxf2 Qb5!

The dust has settled and all the cliches can now go to bed. I am the exchange and Pawn up so I figure to go for simplification, and win by technique. Problem is, I don’t really have any technique. I am also playing a Master and I am now the only player left in the simul. It’s mano-el-mano against a player far better than me, who is unlikely to make any more mistakes. We play very quickly from this point on.

30. Qxb5 axb5
31. Bd3 Rb1
32. Re2 Rfe8
33. f4

He’s doing the best he can with a losing position. It’s a principle of practical chess that you fight as hard as you can, making it difficult for your opponent who may lose heart or make a mistake in the face of your defiance. Craig probably also suspected that I play the endings worse than I do the opening and middle game, because I am such a well rounded player.

33 ............Kf8

Not bad, but why not e6 or e5 and if he doesn’t take then f6?

34. Kg4 h6

I am scared of shadows. If I let the King get to g5 then f6+ and if Kh6 Kf7 and if then Kxh7?? Rh8++

35. h4 e6

Finally, but is it too late?

36. dxe6 Rxe6
37. Rxe6 fxe6
38. Bxg6 Kg7
39. Bd3!

The strategy for White in this ending is to exchange Pawns. Black is vulnerable on the King side and he could conceivably be tricked into letting White get a passed Pawn, which will need blockading. I will then find it hard to get my Queen side Pawns rolling. But I had the glimmer of a plan to win the ending. Combinations again.

39 ..........b4
40. Kf3 b3!?
41. cxb3 Rxb3
42. Ke4 Rxd3!

I saw a win with this little combo Not that I want to brag or anything, but Capablanca won a lot of endings this way.

43. Kxd3 h5!

This boy can play the ending. I read in Capablanca’s ‘Chess Fundamentals’ that this kind of move keeps enemy Pawns back. If you haven’t read Capablanca’s book, you should. It’s the best starting place to learn to play well. Not mine, but The Bot's opinion (Botvinnik).

44. Ke4 Kf6

Surely, if there is a God, or even just a super powerful extraterrestrial watching over the world, Black should win.

45. Ke3 Kf5
46. Kf3 e5??

WRONG PAWN YOU KLUTZ! 46...d5 wins. What kind of a Palooka is this guy?

47. fxe5 dex5

If 47...Kxe5, g4.

48. Ke3 d5

Moron.

49. Kd4 Drawn

49...Kg5 50. Kxe4 Kxg3 51. Kf5 Kxh4 52. Kf4 is a theoretical draw even I know about.

So justice was not done, the world is not a fair place, the supreme comedian of the universe failed to guide my hand to the right Pawn, and the Master player got away with a draw. Don’t give me any of that nonsense about us being responsible for our actions, and therefore because I blundered, the result was fair.

My intellect agrees with you but my emotions do not. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Black is left with all of the agony and none of the ecstacy. Just a few bad cliches for comfort.

Still, from a positive point of view, in future games I learned to take time in the ending. Don’t rush your moves, think before moving. Botvinnik once made the pithy observation that too many players move before they think. It seems obvious that thought should precede movement in chess, but sometimes it takes a genius like The Bot to point it out. I also studied endings more and more and I can now say confidently, that I play the ending better than I play the opening and middle game. That’s encouraging don’t you think? Maybe not.

Oh Caissa, you brazen hussy.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home